Howard Rubin recently retired as an active attorney and now is “of counsel” to Kessler Collins. Although he will no longer be dealing directly with courts or opposing counsel, he continues to provide the firm, its attorneys, and staff, with help in office management, legal research, technology, and other issues facing our firm. Howard will also continue to keep our firm and clients abreast of current legal developments. The firm will keep his picture on our web site because all firms need at least one attorney who sports a bow tie.
Over the past 45+ years Howard has handled a wide range of cases in federal and state courts in Texas and around the country. Before retiring from actively practicing law, Howard focused on representing real estate owners, secured creditors, unsecured creditors and other businesses in state court disputes and bankruptcy cases.
Howard has been a contributor of articles and a lecturer at continuing education courses sponsored by the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) and the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA).
- Texas Bar, 1974
- United States District Court (Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas)
- United States Court of Appeals (Fifth, Seventh, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Author, "Quasi-Bankruptcy Quagmires," The Strategist (April 2019)
- Author, "Secured Creditors Beware of Your Descriptions, Nomenclature and Terminations," The Bankruptcy Strategist (December 2018)
- Author, "Protecting the Secured Lender", published by National Law Journal (September 2018)
- Author, "Discovery Strategies for a Creditor in a Bankruptcy Case", published by Equipment Leasing Newsletter (November 2017)
- Author, "The Art of Filing a Proof of Claim in a Bankruptcy Case", published by Law Journal Newsletters (October 2017)
- Author, "Pick Your Golfing and Contract Partners Carefully," published by IREM InSite, Apr 2015
- Author. "The Bankrupt Tenant and You Part 3 – Will You Get Paid?" Published: IREM InSite 2015
- Author, "Happy Birthday To The Texas Lockout Statue," published by IREM Insite, Dec 2014
- Author, “The Art, Science and Strategy of Presenting Unsecured Creditor Claims.” Dallas Bar Association HEADNOTES (May 2014, Vol 39, No 5)
- Multi-Part series of articles in IREM InSite Multibrief on bankruptcy law as if affects property owners and managers (2014-2015)
- Author, "The Bankrupt Tenant and You Part 1 - The Dawn of the Bankruptcy." Published: IREM InSite 2014
- Author, "The Bankrupt Tenant and You Part 2 – Who Will Be Your Tenant?" Published: IREM InSite 2014
Howard is a frequent speaker and discussion leader at BOMA, IREM, ICSC and ELFA Conferences on topics such as bankruptcy jurisdiction, the handling of “Mom and Pop” bankruptcy cases for the commercial landlord, the drafting of bankruptcy claims, and the American Bankruptcy Institute proposed changes to Chapter 11.
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- BOMA Allied Member
- Equipment Leasing & Finance Associatoin (ELFA)
- Friend of IREM
- United States Army Reserve (1975 - 1979) Honorable Discharge, Captain
- Congregation Anshai Torah (Past President)
- Texas Hillel (Board, Past President)